Newspaper of the armed forces
Independent paper established in the 1950s, based in Aden.
English-language newspaper founded in 1991 by the late Dr Abd al-Aziz al-Saqqaf.
Newspaper of the League of the Sons of Yemen (Rabitat Abna' al-Yaman).
A political weekly
Weekly newspaper of the Islah party. Also in English
Published by the General People's Congress
Published by the General People's Congress. Also in English
Intellectual and cultural weekly
Freedom of the press
The press and publications law
The press in Yemen after unification
Problems in the journalists' union
(Yemen Times, 17 April, 1998)
of the press in Yemen
Interviews by Ismail al-Ghabiri (Yemen Times, 4 May 1998)
has an important role to play. But it must check and double check its information."
Interview with Adam Ereli, Public Affairs Officer at the US Embassy (Yemen Times, 3
"Citizens' trust in the
state must be restored through positive action"
Yemen Times interview
with Abdulkarim Hassan Taqi, chief editor and publisher of Yemen's oldest weekly
"Yemen's margin of press
freedom has been steadily shrinking"
by Ali Mohammed al-Olofy (Yemen Times, 25 January, 1999)
BROADCASTING in Yemen
began in 1940, when the British established a small radio station at Ras Bradly in
the Tawahi district of Aden. Transmissions were short and mainly gave military news about
the Second World War, together with information about precautions against air raids. The
first known speaker directly from this station was Shaikh Abdullah Mohammed Hatem. It
closed in 1945.
was established in January 1946 but closed after two years, resuming in 1955. Aden Radio
was established on 7 August, 1954.
Between 1976 and 1990, broadcasting in northern
Yemen was the responsibility of the Yemeni Public Corporation for Radio and Television.
A similar organisation, the Radio and Television Authority, was established in
the south in 1988. With the unification of Yemen, these were merged in 1990 to form the Public
Corporation for Radio and Television (PCRT), which operates under the wing of the
Ministry of Information.
There are local radio stations in Taizz
(established 1963), al-Mukalla (1967), al-Hodeida (1969) and Sayyun (1973).
There are two national television channels.
Channel 1 (originally the northern television service) began broadcasting on 26 September
1975. The former television service in the south - which is now known as Channel 2 - was
established on 11 September, 1964. Colour transmission started in the north on 26
September, 1979 and in the south on 8 March, 1981.
Sana'a radio: 760 KHz (750 Kw);
1008 KHz (600 Kw); 711 KHz (200 Kw); 837 KHz (30 Kw); 1071 KHz (30 Kw).
Short wave: 5950 KHz (300 Kw);
9780 KHz (50 Kw). FM: 91.1 and 92.5.
Aden radio: 792 KHz (750 Kw).
Ta'izz radio: 893 KHz (50Kw)
Al-Mukalla radio: 756 KHz (50Kw)
Al-Hodeidah radio: 1125 KHz (50Kw)
Satellite television: Yemeni television is available (mainly in the
Middle East) on Arabsat 2a at 26 degrees east. Click here for technical details.
Advertising in the Yemeni press
Faisal Farhan, of the College of Journalism at Sanaa University, discusses the development
of advertising in Yemen since the 1940s. [Yemen Times, 1 Feb 1999]
Abd al-Aziz al-Saqqaf
Obituary of the founder of the Yemen Times, who died tragically on 2 June 1999.
Interview with the publisher, Aiman Mohammed Nasser (Yemen Times, 3 August 1998)
Radman Interview with the Yemeni Satellite Channel's popular
presenter [Yemen Times]