Newspaper of the armed forces
Independent paper established in the 1950s, based in Aden.
Newspaper of the League of the Sons of Yemen (Rabitat Abna' al-Yaman).
A political weekly
Published by the General People's Congress
Intellectual and cultural weekly
Freedom of the press
The press and publications law (full text)
Problems in the journalists' union
(Yemen Times, 17 April, 1998)
Freedom of the press in Yemen
Interviews by Ismail al-Ghabiri (Yemen Times, 4 May 1998)
"Yemen's press has an important role to play. But it must check and double check its information."
Interview with Adam Ereli, Public Affairs Officer at the US Embassy (Yemen Times, 3 August 1998)
"Citizens' trust in the state must be restored through positive action"
Yemen Times interview with Abdulkarim Hassan Taqi, chief editor and publisher of Yemen's oldest weekly newspaper, "Sana'a".
"Yemen's margin of press freedom has been steadily shrinking"
by Ali Mohammed al-Olofy (Yemen Times, 25 January, 1999)
BROADCASTING in Yemen began in 1940, when the British established a small radio station at Ra’s Bradly in the Tawahi district of Aden. Transmissions were short and mainly gave military news about the Second World War, together with information about precautions against air raids. The first known speaker directly from this station was Shaikh Abdullah Mohammed Hatem. It closed in 1945.
Sana’a Radio was established in January 1946 but closed after two years, resuming in 1955. Aden Radio was established on 7 August, 1954.
Between 1976 and 1990, broadcasting in northern Yemen was the responsibility of the Yemeni Public Corporation for Radio and Television. A similar organisation, the Radio and Television Authority, was established in the south in 1988. With the unification of Yemen, these were merged in 1990 to form the Public Corporation for Radio and Television (PCRT), which operates under the wing of the Ministry of Information.
There are local radio stations in Ta’izz (established 1963), al-Mukalla (1967), al-Hodeida (1969) and Sayyun (1973).
There are two national television channels. Channel 1 (originally the northern television service) began broadcasting on 26 September 1975. The former television service in the south - which is now known as Channel 2 - was established on 11 September, 1964. Colour transmission started in the north on 26 September, 1979 and in the south on 8 March, 1981.
Sana'a radio: 760 KHz (750 Kw); 1008 KHz (600 Kw); 711 KHz (200 Kw); 837 KHz (30 Kw); 1071 KHz (30 Kw). Short wave: 5950 KHz (300 Kw); 9780 KHz (50 Kw). FM: 91.1 and 92.5.
Aden radio: 792 KHz (750 Kw).
Ta'izz radio: 893 KHz (50Kw)
Al-Mukalla radio: 756 KHz (50Kw)
Al-Hodeidah radio: 1125 KHz (50Kw)
Satellite television: Yemeni television is available (mainly in the Middle East) on Arabsat 2a at 26 degrees east. Click here for technical details.
Advertising in the Yemeni press
Faisal Farhan, of the College of Journalism at Sanaa University, discusses the development of advertising in Yemen since the 1940s. [Yemen Times, 1 Feb 1999]
Abd al-Aziz al-Saqqaf
Obituary of the founder of the Yemen Times, who died tragically on 2 June 1999.
Interview with the publisher, Aiman Mohammed Nasser (Yemen Times, 3 August 1998)
Interview with the Yemeni Satellite Channel's popular presenter [Yemen Times]